Building Bridges to Cuba
Located just 90 miles from the United States, the Caribbean island of Cuba has been inaccessible to travelers from the United States for over 50 years. Now, the recent easing of U.S. travel restrictions has made it possible for Bank Street College to offer an extraordinary opportunity for you to take part in a week-long “people-to-people” experience in Cuba.
Participants will explore the history, culture and environment of Cuba, with focus on the systems of universal education, health care, and community building designed to promote social justice and equality. Based in Havana and Trinidad, our visits to schools and community projects, museums and historic sites in the city and beyond will give us opportunities to speak with educators, artists, musicians, students, naturalists, and everyday citizens to build bridges of understanding. We will use inquiry and reflection to examine the interwoven strands of indigenous, European and African heritage that have given rise to a distinctive culture with a strong world presence, and explore ways in which the resilient people of Cuba are preparing to meet the economic and environmental challenges of the 21st century.
Travel provided by Insight Cuba, a division of Cross-Cultural Solutions; a licensed provider of people-to-people travel.
Program Name: Building Bridges to Cuba
Program Dates: March 22 - 29, 2014
Contact us or complete an application form
Applications are no longer being accepted.
Course prices $4,745* includes:
- Hotel, double occupancy ($450 suppliment for single room)
Individuals will be paired with other participants, unless single occupancy is requested
- Orientation, dinner and hotel in Miami, Saturday March 22
- All meals
- All local transportation
- Bank Street program leader and Cuban and American Insight Cuba guides, (as required by Insight Cuba's person to person visa).
- Charter flight from Miami to Cuba, approximately $450-600 depending on the season. The final flight cost is released about 45-30 days prior to departure and includes the $75 visa cost and a $50 Insight Cuba Administration fee.
- Flight from your location to Miami, Florida.
- Incidental costs related to souvenirs or snacks that you chose to purchase
*Bank Street Staff Vouchers and Cooperating Teacher Vouchers reduce the cost of this program by $1,100.