Focuses on building leaders for school districts in Northern Westchcester and Putnam counties
Leads to certification as a School Building Leader and as a School District Leader
The Future School Leaders Academy program prepares school and district leaders for educational leader roles in Westchester and Putnam county school districts. Through a longstanding partnership with Putnam/Northern Westchester BOCES, Bank Street College elicits nominations of candidates with outstanding leadership potential from district leaders. Candidates take courses primarily on the BOCES campus in Yorktown Heights and do supervised fieldwork in their own schools and district offices.
- New York State School Building Leader (SBL) certification for those who meet experience requirements and pass the state assessments.
- New York State School District Leader (SDL) certification for those who meet experience and credit requirements and pass the state assessments.
- Standards-based and developmentally focused to gaining independent leadership skills.
- Both building and district leadership responsibilities.
- Supervised by a Bank Street advisor and on-site school and district leaders.
- 600 hours throughout the two-year program.
- At your current school or district location.
- School based leaders--Principal, assistant principal, department chair, program director.
- District based leaders--superintendent, assistant superintendent, district curriculum coordinator, district staff development coordinator.
- Other educational leadership roles: Administrator in a non-school or other educational setting.
- District leader nomination.
- Master's degree in education.
- Excellent academic record and references reflecting strong leadership potential.
- Completed three years of teaching or pupil personnel service work in N-12 settings.
- Completed application and in-person group and individual interviews.
- See the Admissions Criteria.