A 25-month summer residency, bringing candidates from across the US
Inspire and lead change efforts in mathematics and leadership while earning your School Building Leader certification.
Study mathematics and leadership in a cohort of passionate educators
Support and initiate a progressive vision of ongoing, school-wide growth.
Leadership in Mathematics Education is one of the few programs in the nation that grounds preparation for school leadership in a strong mathematics education program. Graduates of this program become eligible for a wide range of leadership roles in P-12 schools, while focusing intensively on mathematics content and pedagogy. Courses and fieldwork emphasize effective change strategies and provide experience in research, curriculum, and professional development.
The program seeks those who are looking for new insights and confidence in mathematics as well as those who already possess a strong mathematics background. This program is geared toward those with a strong interest in school leadership positions. (Applicants who want to take on leadership roles while remaining classroom teachers should consider Bank Street’s Teacher Leader in Mathematics Education program.)
- Supervisory and other roles in schools, e.g. principal, assistant principal, staff developer, coach.
- Supervisory roles in districts (with SDL certification) e.g. superintendent, assistant superintendent, district curriculum coordinator, district staff development coordinator.
- Other educational leadership roles: educational administrator in a non-school setting, curriculum writer or mathematics education researcher/writer.
Certification in Education
- New York State School Building Leader (SBL) certification for those who meet experience requirements and pass the state assessments.
- New York State School District Leader (SDL) certification for those who add Bank Street's five-credit SDL sequence to their studies, meet the experience and credit requirements, and pass the state assessments.
The integration of coursework and field experiences is central to a Bank Street Education.
- Supervision by an advisor who is an educational leader with a strong background in mathematics pedagogy.
- Extends over the entire course of the program, with intensive projects undertaken during the two academic years that come between the three July residencies.
- Generally located at the site where you currently work, with visits from your Bank Street advisor and support from your on-site mentor.
- Excellent academic record and references reflecting strong leadership potential.
- Demonstrated interest in mathematics education. (No prior formal math coursework or background required.)
- To qualify for SBL certification, candidates must have successfully completed three years of teaching or pupil personnel service work in N-12 settings by the time they graduate.
- See the Admissions Criteria.