Learn to engage with schools, building leaders, and communities
You will develop leadership skills to prepare you for various supervisory roles at the district level with an emphasis on strengthening teaching and learning for all students.
Become certified as a School District Leader
When you complete the non-degree course sequence, you will be eligible for New York State certification as a School District Leader.
The School District Leadership program provides prospective district leaders with the unique opportunity to participate in either a 5-credit (Bank Street students or graduates only) or an 11-credit program focusing on effective district management strategies.
Through close examination of a district and using case studies, you will obtain an in-depth understanding of: how districts are organized; the roles of the superintendent and the school board; different reform efforts, and how to meet the needs of special populations.
Certification in Education
When you complete the non-degree course sequence, you will be eligible for New York State professional certification as a School District Leader if you have: 60 graduate level credits; three years of classroom teaching and/or pupil personnel service in public or non-public N-12 schools, and pass the NYS SDL assessment and the Educating All Students exam.
- Supervisory roles in school districts, e.g. Superintendent, Deputy/Assistant Superintendent, and Curriculum Supervisor.
- Supervisory roles in central offices: Some school districts/BOCES have other supervisory positions that require SDL certification.
- Leadership roles in county, state, or national educational organizations. SDL certification may strengthen your candidacy for a variety of roles in organizations dedicated to supporting, studying, or otherwise improving educational systems.
- Excellent academic record and references reflecting strong leadership potential
- Applicants typically have a master's degree in educational leadership and hold a valid SAS or SBL certificate
- See the Admissions Criteria.