Discover the Master's Degree Programs at Bank Street!
Bank Street's developmental-interaction approach recognizes that children learn best when they are actively engaged with materials, ideas, and people. Using this approach, Bank Street teachers nurture children’s curiosity, love of learning, tolerance of human differences, and engagement with the world around them, preparing them to lead lives of consequence.
- Our approach is grounded in sound developmental principles.
- We strive to foster children's development in the broadest sense by providing diverse opportunities for physical, social, emotional, and cognitive growth.
- We respect children as active learners, experimenters, explorers, and artists.
- We honor the fact that children do not all learn at the same rate or in the same way.
- We celebrate the fact that learning is social, and that children learn in interaction with each other and with their environment.
Linking theory to practice for work inside and outside of classrooms
The Graduate School of Education was founded in the tradition of progressive education and is committed to learner-centered education based on sound developmental principles. The master's programs integrate direct experience with children, teachers, and families, exploration and examination of theory, and observation and reflection. These programs prepare adults for professional work in schools, museums, hospitals, and community organizations.
All of Bank Street master's programs include small group work, opportunities for active learning in dialogue with instructors and peers, as well as focused, individual mentoring and professional development with faculty advisors. Here is a list of the programs we offer: