Pre-Kindergarten (4/5s) through First Grade (6/7s)
- As of August 1st, you can either Apply online (application fee payment by credit card only), or download our Application Form (payment by check). The application fee of $60 is a processing fee and is non-refundable as long as your application is processed.
- Transcript Release Form
Must be given to your child's current school to be completed and sent to Bank Street directly via email (email@example.com), fax (212-875-4733) or mail:
Bank Street School for Children Admissions
610 West 112th Street Suite 200
New York, NY 10025
- Confidential School Report Form
For Pre-Kindergarten 4/5s Applicants (pdf)
For Kindergarten (5/6s) and First Grade (6/7s) Applicants (pdf)
Attendance at an Open House is an important step in the application process. The evening event lasts approximately 2 hours from 6:30-8:30 pm with a general overview of the school: a presentation by the Dean of the School for Children; a short film that provides a “fly on the wall” experience of the three academic divisions; as well as a tour of the facility with a parent/student team.
Visits are scheduled for 1 hour during a weekday
- Children are in groups of 4-6
- Visits are play-based- children engage in a variety of activities, some at their own initiative and others at the interviewer’s request. Activities include:
- Exploration/play with materials in the room
- Listening to a story
Parents tour the school during the child’s visit and schedule an interview at a later date.
1) Parent Classroom Observation (tour):
- Parents are invited to learn more about the program by experiencing firsthand what takes place in a classroom on any particular day
- The Visitor Coordinator places parents in a classroom in each of the 3 Divisions when possible in order to get a good overview of the educational approach through the years
- An Admissions Booklet with A Focused Observation Guide helps parents get the most out of their visit
- Every effort is made to place parents in the grade to which they are applying
2) Parent Interview:
- Interviews are scheduled as a second visit after the child’s visit and parents' classroom observation (tour)
- Both parents are encouraged to come to the interview
- The interview provides an opportunity to get to know the family better, discuss what they are looking for in a school, and answer any questions they may have about the educational program, classroom visit, Open House, etc.
If you are planning to apply for a Financial Aid Award, please indicate it on the application as well as complete the Financial Aid forms using TADS. Applications for the 2014-2015 School Year will be available on November 1st. All Financial Aid applications must be submitted by January 1st.
*Formal admissions testing (ERB) is not required for applicants applying for the 4/5s-6/7s