Develop experience and skills as a classroom teacher well-prepared to teach literacy
Explore cutting edge and innovative literacy theory and practice.
Learn from core faculty mentors with rich practitioner experience
Become certified in both Childhood Education and as a Literacy Specialist.
The Childhood General Education and Teaching Literacy program provides you with certification to work in classrooms 1st - 6th grade and in Literacy settings birth - 6th grade. This program is right for you if you hope to work with children either as a classroom teacher with a focus on reading and language arts or as a reading and literacy specialist, and if you do not have prior certification in either early childhood education or elementary education.
- Mature, self-aware and committed individuals who are excited about teaching and learning. There is an expectation of an ability and willingness to be reflective about one's own practices and work with children.
- Excellent academic record and references.
- Breadth and depth in courses in liberal arts and sciences as required by New York State Department of Education.
- See the Admissions Criteria.
Certification in Education
When you graduate, you will be eligible for initial certification in Childhood Education (grades 1 through 6), and for certification as a Literacy Specialist (birth through grade 6). After three years of teaching, you will be eligible for professional certification.
- Engage in intensive, supportive fieldwork, which will include experiences designing and implementing individual, small group, and whole class instruction.
- Participate in a weekly collaborative conference group with your advisor and 5-7 other graduate students where you will have an opportunity to engage in ongoing in-depth conversations about teaching and learning.
- Benefit from individual meetings with your advisor twice each month.
- Graduates teach in elementary school classrooms in the 1st through 6th grade range in either public, charter or independent schools.
- Graduates also work as Reading Specialists in public, charter or independent schools.
- Those graduates who choose to teach outside of New York State can usually arrange for reciprocity for teaching certification in their new location.