Page Links

Getting Certified in New York through Completion of an Approved Program in Another U.S. State

If you intend to enroll in a single certification program in areas such as special education, literacy, or curriculum and instruction, you must have a valid New York State certificate in general education. If you hold a certificate from another state, you can apply for New York certification through interstate reciprocity. We urge you to begin the process as soon as possible, as it can take many months to complete your part, and then the state needs time to process and review your completed application. 

  1. Create a Profile in the TEACH System. TEACH is the New York State’s online certification database and you can create a profile by going to Click on "Self-Register." You also want to apply for an Initial Certificate in TEACH.  Be sure to apply via the Pathway: Completion of a College Teacher Education Program in another U.S. State. Bear in mind that creating a profile and actually applying are separate processes. 

  2. Get Fingerprinted.  For more information, visit our Fingerprinting web page.

  3. Enter your educational information and work experience in your TEACH account. Be as accurate as possible and be sure to include all relevant work experience.

  4. Register for New York State Exams. Go to for the current exam schedule and to register for the appropriate New York State exams. If you are unsure which exams are required for the certificate, please visit our Certification web page. Your test scores will be reported to you and to the New York State Department of Education (NYSED) about four weeks after your exam.

  5. Request transcripts from all institutions that you attended. We suggest that you have the transcripts sent to youself first, and that you then send them to the state with a return receipt requested. DO NOT OPEN OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS! You should write your social security number on the outside of the transcript envelopes to ensure that they are applied to your account appropriately. Be sure to include a photo copy of any teaching certificate(s) that you hold. Send materials to:

    Office of Teaching Initiatives
    New York State Department of Education
    5N Education Building
    Albany, NY 12234

  6. Take the Child Abuse Idenitfication, School Violence Prevention (SAVE), and Dignity for All Students (DASA) Workshops.  Completion certificates or transcripts indicating completion of all three workshops must be submitted to NYSED. These workshops are available at Bank Street and are free of cost to matriculated students. Please check the Graduate School Course Schedule for a list of dates and times.

  7. Notify Bank Street. When see your New York State certificate in TEACH, be sure to notify David Bryant at

Check your application status frequently through your TEACH account as New York state will not send you a paper certificate or any status updates for your application. It is also reommended that you send all of these materials in one packet with a return receipt requested to the state. Write your social security number on each item you send.