Thursday, March 21, 2019
5:30 PM EDT - 7:30 PM EDT
60 Claremont Avenue
New York, NY 10027
Continue the Conversation: Creating Safe Learning Environments in Uncertain Times to Develop Practical Approaches to Promote Equity and Justice
Schedule of Events:
5:15 PM – 5:30 PM: Check-in
5:30 PM – 7:00 PM: Welcome
- A Beginning Definition of Social Justice
- An Example of Socially Just Practice
- Small Group Discussions
7:00 PM – 7:30 PM:Networking Reception and Book Sale
Our small group discussions are designed to help participants develop practice-based, learner-centered approaches to productively address injustice and inequity on behalf of children to strengthen learning and community. We plan to consider the following questions (among others) that emerged from our previous conversation:
- How do I stay effective when emotions run high in response to daily occurrences?
- What are some of our successes, failures and ‘try-agains’?
- How can we navigate the obstacles to teaching for social justice at this particular moment in time and history?
All interested educators, parents, and leaders are welcome! Please share the invitation with interested colleagues. Light refreshments will be served.
The BSCAA Social Justice Committee has joined with the Bank Street Graduate School and Bank Street Bookstore to develop a list of books for children and adults that support socially just, learner-centered practices. During the networking reception, the Bookstore will offer a selection of books for sale at a 20% discount for participants.
Click here to register